Tuesday, March 29, 2011

2 month check-up

Gideon had his 2 month check-up yesterday! Here are the stats:
Weight: 12lbs 11.5oz (85th percentile)
Height: 24.2" (90th percentile)
Head circumference: 16.1" (75th percentile)

Last week Gideon had a diarrhea bug so I took him in to the pediatrician just to make sure we were doing everything right. When she saw his weight she said we should try and reduce how much he is eating daily. We tried that for a couple of feedings but gave up when he started to protest, loudly. Yesterday when she saw his length she said we shouldn't change a thing. She said he is proportionate and perfect and I have to agree. She also said that at this weight he can safely sleep 8 hour stretches and suggested we start cutting his 3am feeding with water. The 2 month shots were not fun. He cried so hard that no sound came out and he popped little blood vessels in his head. Afterwards there was a lot of snuggling with mommy and then he spent the day napping. Last night he hardly slept at all however, so mommy is operating on only a couple of hours sleep today. Poor Mac still has the flu bug we all got over last week and hasn't been able to do much around the house. Luckily he is starting to feel better, sadly he is going back to work today :( Even sick it was nice to have him around, but I am grateful he is getting well because he was sick of being sick.

Alright, I have bottles to wash...

4 comments:

  1. I have never in my life heard of cutting a feeding with water. That sounds insane to me. Why would you mess with a feeding schedule that works fine? He is not overweight and who cares if he is getting up to eat. Babies do that. We are 3 months ahead of you and still get up to eat in the middle of the night. And so does every other baby I know...
    I know you like this lady, so I don't mean to judge, but that sounds just plain insane to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She said at his current weight he can safely sleep 8 hour stretches and right now he is only doing 5-6 so it is a way to help him get his calories during the day instead of at night. The Baby Wise flexible schedule is supposed to help with that too, making sure that he gets that day is for eating and playing and night is for sleeping. I don't sleep well and I really want my child to be a better sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I get that. And yeah, it's possible for a 2 month old to sleep 8-hour-long stretches, but it's not required, nor is it common.
    Just sayin'...
    Lack of sleep sucks. If this works let me know... I've had an acute lack of sleep for oh... 6 months now. I don't think Flint is a "poor sleeper" though. I think learning to be a good sleeper happens gradually. Just don't kill yourself trying to hurry it along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, I am not stressed over it. I don't think Flint is a poor sleeper or even think other people should do things the way I am doing them. It was an interesting suggestion.

    ReplyDelete