Monday, July 21, 2014

Kiwi Crate

A few weeks ago a mom friend of mine shared pics of her kids playing with something they had made using materials from something called a Kiwi Crate.  I headed over to the Kiwi Crate website and found this:

"Our Story

Kiwi Crate was built out of a passion for hands-on fun that encourages creativity and curiosity in children. I had a deep appreciation for these projects, but often found that my greatest intentions fell short. It was tough to find the time to come up with engaging hands-on activities, let alone get the materials.
So, as I started to develop creative projects with my kids, I thought, “why not share them with friends, who are also busy?” At playdates, the kids had a bunch of fun, and the parents appreciated having all of the materials and inspiration for the projects provided. Several parents mentioned, "I wish I could do this at home with my kids!"
Kiwi Crate was created to fulfill that wish and to celebrate kids’ natural creativity and curiosity. We want to make it fun, easy, and delightful to spend time building, exploring and creating together. Since its inception, the Kiwi Crate team has grown. We've added creative parents who dream up the projects, valued experts who review them, and a community of kid testers who keeps us on our toes and ensures the projects are fun and engaging.
We love working on Kiwi Crate and cherish the involvement that our kids and friends have in bringing the product to life. We're excited about the opportunity to help provide these types of experiences for your family to share too.
Happy exploring!
Sandra
Founder, CEO, Mother of Two"

As you all know, I love doing crafts with Gideon and I have been on the lookout for something he and I can share after the baby comes and this seemed like the perfect thing.  So I started a subscription and forgot about it within about 30 seconds.  The box arrived a couple of days ago so I put it on the couch and (again) forgot about it within 30 seconds.  This morning Gideon was bored and I walked past the couch and thought "hmmm, what's in that box?" so we opened up our first Kiwi Crate today and I am so impressed! It comes with all the necessary materials (even the glue!) for two adorable craft projects, an activity book full of fun games, a kids magazine with an at home scavenger hunt, and even two little cardboard puppets to cut out and play with in your box that doubles as a little puppet habitat. Best of all Gideon got his own pair of safety scissors. His face lit up when I told them they were scissors just for him (someone may have been wanting to use mommy's scissors for a while now). We made our first craft today (glowing campfire, it glows because you put a little flickering electric tea light underneath it (included in the box)) and I love that it was something we could integrate into playtime.  We took it upstairs to Giddy's room and turned his bed into a tent.  Then we roasted marshmallows, told spooky stories (he loves telling me stories, usually involving ghosts and superheroes), and even got out his star turtle so we could make constellations.  

unloading our supplies from the box

standing awkwardly next to the table

pulling off pieces of clay

putting clay on the cardboard ring


pressing stones into the clay

checking the instructions to see what we need to do next


gluing tissue paper to the cup



roasting "marshmallows"


"mmm cotton"

okay I may have snuck some real marshmallows in there

camping with our friends!

We are going to save the next project for another boring afternoon next week.  If anyone is interested in getting a Kiwi Crate of your own use my referral link  here  to get $10 off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment