Monday, October 11, 2010

Registration

Mac and I finally went and registered for Baby Mack's gear this afternoon. We were SO excited for some fun baby preparation after a somewhat stressful weekend (see below) but the moment I had that little scanning gun in hand I was immediately overwhelmed. There was so much stuff. The store was full of it. It didn't help that the checklist the store gave us is ridiculous. I may not have any children of my own but I KNOW I don't need 5 different strollers. We decided to roam the aisles and only scan the items we knew we wanted while making a mental checklist of things we wanted to research once we got home. Our second stop was Target, which went quickly since our local store only has 3 aisles of stuff. Once home we hit the internet in search of product reviews and I already have several changes to make to out Babies R Us list (which I still cannot access). I also added several items to our Target list and had to create an Amazon.com list for 2 items that we really want but could not find at the other two stores. Sheesh! Who knew there was so much stuff AND I still have so many questions! How many bottles do I really need? What about breast pump type accessories like storage bottles? Are the bags worth it? Can babies use regular washcloths or are baby ones somehow special? Do I need a wipes warmer? Which diaper rash cream/nipple cream is the best? What toys should I get? Do babies even NEED toys? Should I just register for things that I will need immediately or also include things that they baby will need in a few months? Am I being greedy? This registering thing makes me sleepy.

In other news, being pregnant continues to be weird. I woke up Sunday morning with mild chest pain/soreness that increased in intensity throughout the day. By Sunday night I was getting a little worried so at the behest of a lovely lady on my mothering message board, I went to Walmart and checked my blood pressure which was normal (113/70) but I was still in unexplained pain. Luckily, I had today off for Fair Day because I woke up bright and early still hurting. I called the doctor's office when they opened (9am) but didn't hear back from them until much later in the afternoon. The doctor feels as though I have Costochondritis (inflammation of the connective tissue between the breastbone and the ribs). Normally this is treated with anti-inflammatory drugs but since I am pregnant I can't have them. Long story short, this means I can't lift anything or bend over very far or generally be of any assistance in a physical capacity until the symptoms go away. Internet research tells me that it can take a loooong time for that to happen so, >sigh<. Add that to the list of things-experienced-during-pregnancy-that-I-could-do-without.

My list of things-experienced-during-pregnancy-that-are-awesome is growing too! Baby Mack kicked me hard enough the other night that my stomach moved. Of course no one but Stella was around to see it but I am sure it will become a more frequent happening over the coming weeks.

Okay time to get ready for school tomorrow. The kids are going to watch a VHS tape. For real. VHS. Tape.

4 comments:

  1. You have GOT to talk to Emily -- about all your questions. I can probably answer most of them from going thru it all with her, but better to get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. This is the FUN stuff!!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I just emailed her an annoying email full of information. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Registering can be very overwhelming that's for sure, one thing that helped me was taking mom friend with me to let me know what all I would need and things the list said I needed but would never use. One thing I did do was register for anything and everything that I might possibly want in the first year or so because when the date comes that you put as your due date on the registeries you will get lots of coupons including a 20% completion coupon meaning you can take that to the store and get 20% off anything that is still left on your registry (like in my case a breast pump). As far as your questions I do have a few suggestions: get several types of bottles you never know which one your little man will take and you dont want to be making a mad dash to walmart in the middle of the night because you can't get him to take the one you have, medela pumps are by far the best (get the double electric pump is it so much easier and faster), as far as accessories go it is all about preferance and how much you are able to pump and store (breast milk will keep for up to a year in a deep freezer), wipe warmer is kind of pointless unless you plan on warming the wipee every time you change a diaper no matter where you are babies get over the cold wipee pretty quick. Let me know if you have any other questions that I might have an insight in I did tons of reserch and had some trial and error with our little man and would love to help in any way I can. Congrats again I am really happy for yall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness you guys are so great! I am so grateful for all of the advice! It is not annoying AT ALL, in fact it is the opposite! I feel very loved.

    ReplyDelete