Tuesday, July 27, 2010

1st trimester scan thing

Last night Mac and I watched "The Business of Being Born" and I highly recommend it to anyone planning a birth. It was very informative and uplifting and really made us think about what we want our birth experience to be like. We have also decided that Pitocin is the devil and gateway to unnecessary interventions.

Today we went for the first trimester sequential scan that tests for genetic problems. Since neither side of the family has a history of downs syndrome or any other chromosomal issue we really weren't worried and viewed this as a great opportunity to see Spud again. My mother joined us and there was little bit of car drama combined with a little bit of parking garage drama and then elevator drama so when we arrived I was desperately grateful for the sweetheart nurses and calming atmosphere of the office. When they called us back to the ultrasound room I was immediately impressed by the 45+ plus inch tv screen they had in the room to display my little bean. I was also looking forward to having my first abdominal ultrasound; I didn't even have to shave my legs this morning! They cranked up the ultrasound machine and there was spud in all its baby glory. It moved around like crazy, waving and stretching its arms and legs, standing up and sitting down; probably because of how stressed I was leading up to the appointment. At one point it stood up tall and then slouched down into a very typical "Kristin slouching" position that nearly brought tears to my eyes; that's my baby alright! The nuchal fold measured 1.7 which we were told was perfect and then they took my blood and we were on our way. I probably could have sat there all day and watched Spud dance and play. Mac was so sweet and amazed; he took my hand and held it the whole time. The ultrasound pics hardly do Spud justice and are not nearly as good as last weeks transvaginal pics but I still like 'em, what do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Argh, my long comment was destroyed. Anyway, Spud looks WAY more developed than last week, holy cow! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It DOES look like Spud is dancing! I love it! Obviously, a gifted child!

    ReplyDelete